Thursday, October 23, 2014

My Truth About Fall

I love the fall.

Judge me. Call me basic. Call me a stereotypical white girl. See if I care.

Truly, it is my favorite season. It is just cold enough that I can break out my comfy sweaters  and flannels without having to cover them up with a bulky winter coat. The leaves all change and my 5-hour drive across the state to get to and from school for various breaks becomes more beautiful than you could ever imagine. It becomes more acceptable to bake because the house won't be boiling hot between a raging oven and high outdoor temperatures. 

And, it is a season of change. It is a wonderful transition between the suffocating heat of summer and the bitter cold of winter. It is a time of creativity--who ISN'T inspired by the colors and smells of autumn? It is the prime time to start cuddling up with the ones you love while drinking tea and reading a book or watching a good movie. And you can't forget that two of the best holidays occur during this time: Halloween and Thanksgiving. All the candy and all the stuffing. What could be wrong with that?

But, my love for fall came before all of these things became apparent to me. I can truly name two things that inspired my dedication to this wonderful season.

The first is my dad. It's his favorite season. I'm not entirely sure if it is the weather or the fact that it means he can watch the Steelers play football, but it is what it is. I have always wanted to be like my parents, and I distinctly remember him telling me that fall is his favorite at some point when I was young. From that point on, it became my favorite, too.

The second is that fall means school. And I repeat: judge me. I love school. I love learning. And fall has always meant that is school is in swing, which directly translates to learning. Sure, school stresses me out. It stresses everyone out. But who can deny that we're learning something important here? I know that I want a job someday. And there is no way that I can achieve what I want to without getting some sort of degree. And so, yes. I do love school.

So, my dear readers. Embrace the fall. Embrace the colors, the crisp air, and the almost-but-not-quite-bitterly-cold wind. Embrace the stress of school, because you are one of the blessed that has the opportunity be there. And embrace the inspiration that you can find in this season, be it from a foggy memory or a very distinct moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment