Monday, June 16, 2014

It's a Wild Ride

For the first time since arriving in Detroit, I am in my hotel room before midnight. This is beautiful. But, even though I am off duty, I am here to tell you about my time on duty. Quite frankly, that is probably a good thing--I could use a small debrief and period of reflection, and this is the perfect time for it. So, here goes nothing. An overview of the past three days of the 221st General Assembly through the eyes of a communications intern. Buckle your seat belts, folks. It's a wild ride.

Okay, now, when I last left off, it was Saturday and almost time for the Moderator's Election. Oh my goodness, was that a crazy night. All those involved--commissioner, delegate, staff person, and onlooker alike--were stressed and freaking out, there is no denying that. The internet at Cobo, the convention center, was crashing on a regular basis, the new voting system AND old voting system failed, leaving the vote to a hand raise from delegates and paper ballot from commissioners and a very late night for everyone.

However, on the oh-so-bright side, I got to see my dad! We grabbed dinner and got to chat and catch up before needing to run off to the election. It was wonderful to see him--I miss my family! Never being home can be a little weird after a while.

On Sunday, I was pleased to look at the paper that is printed each day for the Assembly (the one that I am writing for), and find my story ABOVE THE FOLD on the first page, with translations in Spanish and Korean on the back!! Such a cool thing to see!

However, life got crazy fast. My friend Sara (from work) and I were planning to attend a Korean service with my dad. But, we were informed just before the bus was to leave that it may not return in time for plenary, which Sara and I both needed to be at. So, we opted out of that service and ended up at Fort Street Presbyterian Church of Detroit. Talk about the Spirit moving us--that service was absolutely awe-inspiring. I am so glad that we ended up there. It featured beautiful music, speakers of various faith traditions, solid scripture usage, and a wonderful sermon on the miracle of Pentecost (They have turned Pentecost into a season at Fort Street Pres., rather than merely celebrating it for one Sunday. I think it's brilliant.) The sermon argued that the miracle of Pentecost was not one of tongues, but of ears. She related it to present-day, where the miracle of Pentecost is seen in the listening of those with different beliefs and ideas than your own. It was a refreshing and new message that I feel resonated a lot with what the church is currently experiencing. How timely!

After church, I wrote up a quick blurb on it for the paper while splitting a 20-piece McNugget and large fry with Sara (talk about true friendship) before we rushed off to Cobo for plenary. While there, the two of us were on social media accounts (her: a million; me: various Presbyterian's Today accounts) so that we could tweet, post pictures, and otherwise alert the world of the goings-on in our General Assembly. 

Then, today. Oh, today. It began with waking up at 5:30 am, getting to Cobo by 6:45 to cover a talk at 7, then run to a meeting at 9, and get to my committee for 9:30. And in my committee room I remained ALL DAY...goodness, did it feel good to move around when I finally got up to get dinner at 5:45. Then, after a quick dinner, I was right back at it.

Newspaper writing is the very definition of multi-tasking, I’m finding. Especially in this setting. I found myself writing 3 different stories and taking notes on what was happening in committee, as well as managing social media stuff, all at once. It was a little crazy, but all that needed accomplished was done to my taste, and I was happy.

After committee let out, around 9:45, I grabbed the YAADs of Committee Eight and managed to interview them for a story for Presbyterian’s Today before they headed off to their YAAD Gathering for the evening. It worked out beautifully, and now my day is finally over. What a lovely feeling that is.

Alright, now that I've given you an all-intensive backstage tour of the 221st General Assembly Newsroom Intern life, I’m going to head to bed before doing it all again tomorrow. As always, thanks for joining me on the journey. 




No comments:

Post a Comment